Monday, March 10, 2014

Masonite Siding Replace With Concrete Fiber



I have a large garage and the masonite siding along the bottom and part of one side is rotted away pretty badly. I was going to replace the failing boards with more masonite but the person at the local home store told me that I should use this new concrete siding instead. It sounds like a great idea since most of what is rotted is along the bottom. However, I do not want to tear off all of the siding (as most of it is fine). I'd prefer to just out the bad boards and replace them with the concrete siding.
What does everyone think? If I get smooth texture will it be obvious? Will there probably be a thickness difference between the two? I may end up butting against masonite and I don't want it to stick out as a replacement too much.
Or, should I just replace the boards amongst the good masonite with new masonite and then the bottoms with concrete fiber?
I'd appreciate any help, I'm wanting to start this project soon as the good weather is still here!
Thanks

I'm in a similar situation to yours- Masonite Color Lok on my house about 9 years old and maybe 20% of it needs to be replaced. The problem is that Masonite went out of business several years ago and I'm told that in this area (Richmond, Va) that there's no way to get replacement boards. I'm thinking about concrete siding like you but have concerns about wheather the texture and paint will stand out from the existing boards. Mine has a texture something like pine wood grain. I'm looking for an alternative hardboard but there doesn't seem to be anything easily available. I'll post if/when I find something.

Appearance, texture, and thickness will always be an issue when changing materials. Generally, siding fails due to inadequate protection from the weather, that is, not painted well enough or often enough.
It seems to me that finding something that will blend in well enough may be the first hurdle. If you can find more masonite, protect it well prior to and after installing. Otherwise, trying to find a match or a blend will be the next most likely option.

That masonite that remains will need to be watched vigilantly. Any exposure to moisture and it will become damaged as well. I would recommend residing the entire side of the garage with the fiber cement boards and do the rest of the garage sides as needed.

i purchased a home that has moasonite on the garage only and it is extremely damaged. It appears to be rotted in some sections and the finish is coming of in other sections. I filed a claim with masonite and will see how it goes. Looks like they will pay for new siding for most of my garage.
Here is the link:
http://www.masoniteclaims.com/

Did you ever find a replacement siding? We are on the verge of replacing everything for lack of an appropriate product.
Originally Posted by larrywa2
I'm in a similar situation to yours- Masonite Color Lok on my house about 9 years old and maybe 20% of it needs to be replaced. The problem is that Masonite went out of business several years ago and I'm told that in this area (Richmond, Va) that there's no way to get replacement boards. I'm thinking about concrete siding like you but have concerns about wheather the texture and paint will stand out from the existing boards. Mine has a texture something like pine wood grain. I'm looking for an alternative hardboard but there doesn't seem to be anything easily available. I'll post if/when I find something.






Tags: masonite, siding, replace, concrete, fiber, concrete siding, told that, yours- Masonite Color house about, about concrete, about concrete siding