Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Cutting Limestone Blocks



Can anyone give advice on best way to cut limestone blocks being used for a retaining wall? They are 150mm by 180mm, so not too big. Can I use a mitre saw as i don't have a drop saw? Hacksaw?
Any advice is much appreciated.
From
Homehandyman in OZ.

you could rent a cut-off saw and use concrete blades on it. tell the guys at the rental yard what you are doing and they will fix you up.
around here the rock guys just use a rock hammer and strike the stones just right. takes practice. im about 1 in 4 breaking where i want.
someone my have a better idea. keep watching!

Not sure how close concrete blocks are to limestone but when cutting holes for plumbing lines in block, I have just used a hammer and chisel. Tap along the line you want to break at and keep going over it harder each time until it breaks. Good luck.

Thanks guys! I'll be off to the Bunnings Warehouse (like a Home Depot in Perth) tomorrow. I was a bit worried as I read that an axle grinder is one of the most dangerous hand tools, and that is what somebody else recommended.






Tags: cutting, limestone, blocks