Wednesday, March 12, 2014

surge-protector-for-refrigerator



Hello,
I get frequent power outages where I live and someone told me to get a surge protector that protects the ground for my refrigerator. He told me that I can buy one at home depot, plug it into the wall and plug my refrigerator into it and just lay it on top of my refrigerator.
Is there a special surge protector that protect the ground vs. current?
Is it ok to just sit it on top of my refrigerator?
Thank you,
Peter.

someone told me to get a surge protector that protects the ground for my refrigerator.
Huh?? Protects the ground?? I think that someone knows very little of which he/she spoke. That being said, I recommend that everyone with appliances loaded with electronics have a whole house surge suppression device installed at their main service panel. There are many manufacturers and types and the price range is from reasonable to way overboard in my opinion. The bottom line is, how much are you willing to spend to protect your electronics? I have a plug-on type, not the most expensive, but decent protection in my opinion.
Shop Eaton Load Center Surge Protection Device at Lowes.com

I agree with Joe on the whole house surge suppression system. Too many electronics nowadays. In addition, do you know what is one of the largest surge producing components of your house????? Yep, the refrigerator, so go figure.

Even with a whole house surge protector its a good idea to have them where you plug the device in as well.
I don't know about laying something on top of the refrigerator. You can get a receptacle with a built in surge protector. A lot less clutter.
Receptacles Type 3: Surge Protective Receptacles Surge Protective Devices Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

Thanks everyone for replying. I will look into both a whole house surge protector as well as (first) an outlet surge protector. The outlet I can change myself.
The same person told me not to get an outlet surge protector for the refrigerator because it would stick out too much from the wall.
Thanks again,
Peter.

The same person told me not to get an outlet surge protector for the refrigerator because it would stick out too much from the wall.
If you checked the link in my earlier post you'll see that the outlet surge protector replaces the existing outlet. It doesn't stick out at all.
I think the person is thinking of a plug-in surge protector.

I did check the link you had in your previous post. That's actually where I got the idea that it would not stick out from the wall. Thank you for checking in.
Oh, I also just came back from the home depot and the person there said not to put replace the refrigerator outlet with a surge protector outlet. He said that when the appliance starts up, it will draw more that needed normally - just for start up of the motor- and it would trip the surge protector.
Does that make sense?
Thanks again,
peter.
-Peter.

I also just came back from the home depot and the person there said not to put replace the refrigerator outlet with a surge protector outlet. He said that when the appliance starts up, it will draw more that needed normally -just for start up of the motor- and it would trip the surge protector.
Does that make sense?
Yep.
Originally Posted by Chandler
do you know what is one of the largest surge producing components of your house????? Yep, the refrigerator, so go figure.
But you won't know until you try it.

The same person told me not to get an outlet surge protector for the refrigerator because it would stick out too much from the wall.
Huh?? Protects the ground?? I think that someone knows very little of which he/she spoke.
Oh, I also just came back from the home depot and the person there said not to put replace the refrigerator outlet with a surge protector outlet. He said that when the appliance starts up, it will draw more that needed normally - just for start up of the motor- and it would trip the surge protector.
Does that make sense?
Huh?? Not in the least. Go back to the link provided in post #4 and read about surge protecting receptacles, there is nothing to trip. Surge protectors simply don't have a trip mechanism.

There is a surge protector replacement receptacle that has an audible alarm in addition to an LED to warn you if protection has become degraded. The receptacle is likely to be out of sight. Saw one on this week's Ask This Old House episode installed behind a wall mounted TV.






Tags: surge, protector, refrigerator, surge protector, surge protector, outlet surge, outlet surge protector, from wall, home depot, house surge, protector outlet, surge protector outlet, whole house